Romaji

Romaji - What is it?

No, romaji is not a board game where you roll dice and crazy animals jump out at you forcing you to escape and live in a jungle for thirty years. Romaji is the translation of Japanese words through the use of the Latin Alphabet.
As I said previously, there are three different 'alphabets' used in the Japanese language; katakana, hiragana, and kanji. I should've corrected myself to say there are four main alphabets in Japan because Romaji is very common and all Japanese people who have attended elementary school post WW2 have been taught to read and write romanized Japanese.
You may have been wondering this also, but I used to ask myself, How do Asian people type if they have different alphabets than us. Well its simple, Romanization is the most common way to input Japanese into word processors and computers. 
Just a wee F.Y.I. before I let you go, many people incorrectly translate the word romaji, as romaNji with an N. 


No comments:

Post a Comment